Tuesday 25 November 2014

Deal


I have never been a real Grateful Dead fan. They have been pioneers for sure and I liked their 'freak' look and attitude and their commitment to the scene and ideals of the American psychedelic culture; Jerry Garcia is still a beloved  "hippie icon" and was a talented musician like all the other members of the band, but while respecting and at times listening to their albums, I didn't consider  their music - except few masterpieces like "Dark Star" or some of their endless live jams - particularly 'trippy' or engaging....I preferred other bands and musical styles. Just personal taste...
All that said, I'm a big fan of "sex drugs and rock'n roll" anectodes of the golden years of rock and alternative culture, so I can't miss the autobio of Bill Kreutzmann, the Dead's drummer for decades. Deal: My Three Decades of Drumming, Dreams and Drugs with the Grateful Dead promises to be a real interesting and involving book for all music lovers and "countercultural" and "psychedelicized" people, with firsthand accounts of a special period and a special band...

No comments: